Thursday, July 21, 2011

She's here (and you're not here)



For the past six years, I have been away from my family (geographically speaking), working on graduate school and my career. This summer, I had the opportunity to move back near my family to complete my final year of graduate school (fingers crossed).

I have done this to have the chance to be nearer to my sister and brother-in-law's growing family and to be nearer to family in general. I have done this because I believe that it is the best thing for me right now.

I have done this. All of my things are moved into a new house. More than once already, I have walked into that house and looked at my belongings put away in new places and thought, "What is all of my stuff doing here in Kansas?"

While I was away, there were occasions on which I wish I could have been here. Phone calls were the substitute.

I had to hear about it over the phone from far away when my niece was born, "She's here!" But what my brain thought (not to be confused with what was said) was, "She's here (but you're not there...)!"

When my grandmother passed away recently, I again had to hear over the phone from across the miles, "She's gone." But again, what my brain thought was, "She's gone (and you're not there)."

There were other times when there were phone calls that made me want to say, "I'll be right over; I'll be right there." It was my first and only impulse to say that very thing. But it wasn't something I could say and have it be true.

Now I can say it and have it be true. For that I am grateful.

I get to see this cheesy smile almost every day.
The wheat has waved me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment