Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Fodder for a Corolla commercial

I rented a car for my recent trip to North Dakota to capture and sample sparrows for my research.



View Larger Map

North Dakota has a few major interstate highways running through it. But in the area in which I was working, the roads were mostly gravel at best. The area is also known for its plentiful wet meadows and prairie potholes. These are the reasons I go there. Rather, these are the reasons the birds I study go there, and so I go there because the birds go there.

Anyway, I rented a car for the trip.

I was granted a shiny, white, new(-ish) Corolla.

This is not what it looked like when I received it.

After a continuous day of rain and various trips back and forth on muddy gravel (or dirt) roads, the Corolla lost its shininess and whiteness. But the plucky little car that could soldiered on.

I felt like I was stuck inside of a Subaru commercial except that I was driving a Toyota.

The little car did not let me get stuck in the mud and did just as well as I could have expected any Subaru to do. I have half a mind to make my own commercial, set it to some snazzy music and submit it to Toyota's marketing department. I think they're letting Subaru get away with hogging too much of the outdoorsy demographic.

No comments:

Post a Comment