Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A track to go with the day

If you have had to go through all of this day without hearing a quote from a Ryan Reynolds character, let me be the one to remedy that for you...

"Now it's a great feeling when you find the right track to go with the day. And today, I have found the absolute... perfect song. The other... perfect song." [Cue: "Everyday People" by Sly and the Family Stone (whose records are filed under "S" for Sly and Stone at my parents' house... another story for another day)]

(In case you don't know what I'm talking about because you've never seen the movie, you should see the movie. But until then, this should get you caught up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWGlkmw2lyM&feature=related).

I relish the days when there is a perfect track to go with the day. And I really see no reason why this shouldn't be possible every day. It's just that some days, the perfect track packs more of a punch than others.

A couple of weeks ago I was sitting in the lobby of a hotel in downtown Halifax, NS, waiting for my mother to get herself (and her 90-lb duffle bag (which to be fair may have only weighed 75 lbs. at that point)) from the Halifax airport to the hotel (We weren't picking up the rental car until a couple of days later when we had planned to leave Halifax and explore the rest of the province. For the time being, we didn't need a vehicle to explore Halifax itself.)

Anyway, I sat and sat and sat. People came and people went. I just sat. Luckily, the hotel folks had hired a fellow to play his guitar and sing for the customers as they were busy coming and going. Only in my case, they were paying him to play his guitar and sing while I sat and waited.

Eventually, the troubadour played this song, and I smiled to myself because I knew this was it. This was my perfect track to go with the day today. He didn't sing it quite like Willie does, but he did it justice in his own way.

Now why this song was the perfect track for my day as I sat some 2,200 highway miles from New Orleans, is a complete and utter mystery to me. I wasn't in (the U.S. of) America, it wasn't morning, I wasn't on or all that near a train... But it never matters why. It just matters that the song hits you between the eyes (ears?) and makes your day better for having heard it.

For the record, today's song is:


Isn't it bouncy and beautiful?

No comments:

Post a Comment