Friday, April 22, 2011

Scrumdiddlyumptious

Since it is so close to Easter and all, I thought I'd share a story from a recent, brief car trip in the spirit of the season.

I was traversing the short distance between home and work. I had not yet eaten lunch. It was well past lunchtime. Lunch was in my satchel. The satchel was on the passenger seat right next to me.

These were the facts that led up to my decision to reach inside my satchel, withdraw my lunch and begin (and... let's be honest... finish) eating it within the seven whole minutes that make up that door-to-door commute.

Lunch on this day was several hard-boiled eggs and a string cheese. Rather strange, yes?

At some point during the consumption of the second egg (while intermittently biting off small pieces of string cheese), it struck me. It struck me that I would put down all of the money I have to bet that there was no one else in the whole, wide world doing this same thing.

Perhaps it should have also struck me that I have the faculties and means to create a better lunch for myself. Perhaps it should have struck me that I might desire a better lunch than that. Perhaps it should have struck me that the reason that there was no other human being on our planet doing the same thing (and it's possible there never, ever has been someone who did this same thing) is that the thing I was doing was a little ridiculous. Perhaps more than a little ridiculous.

At any rate, lunch was done. Check that off the list for a busy day. Always an accomplishment to keep one's self fed and nourished (such as it is).



Consequently, this reminds me a little of that time in Armageddon where Ben Affleck is playing with animal crackers on and around the torso of Liv Tyler. She asks him if he thinks it's possible if anyone else in the world is doing this very same thing at the very same moment. He hopes so. I do too (about the animal crackers and the hard-boiled eggs/string cheese lunch).



And then Steven Tyler starts singing and (let's be honest) kind of ruins the moment because you're thinking about how Liv is his daughter and how in the world that can be biologically possible. In any event, it appears that it can be helpful to believe that we have a world worth saving (at least in part because there are, at any one time, duplicative numbers of people doing the same strange (but interesting) things).

(And for the record, I agree with Mr. Affleck about the animal cracker/cookie debacle.)

Happy Easter everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment